Green Bond Market Development in G20 Emerging Economies
Green bonds are becoming an increasingly established financial instrument used by a growing number of development banks, state and municipal entities, as well as private companies to raise capital for green investments that mitigate climate change and accelerate the global transformation towards resource-efficient and low-carbon sustainable economies. Since the first issuance of a green bond in 2007, the market has grown rapidly in OECD countries. Facing a particularly high exposure to climate and environmental risks while public funds are limited, emerging markets economies in the Americas and Asia are, however, increasingly turning towards green bonds as well, viewing them as a promising instrument to mobilize private capital for the green investments urgently needed.
In a Strategic Alliance, a public-private partnership, with the Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB), one of the pioneers and leading players in the green bond market, the Emerging Markets Dialogue on Finance (EMDF) supports the development of green bond markets in Brazil, China, India and Mexico. Based on the expertise and experience gained in the OECD-focused market, we work with relevant stakeholders – policy makers and regulators, financial institutions, rating agencies, as well as potential issuers and investors – for successfully developing an efficient market for green bonds.
SEB and the EMDF offer tailor-made advice to all relevant stakeholders in the market. Our objective is to ensure high environmental standards and transparency concerning the use of the proceeds, so that early issuances build investors’ trust in this still novel financial instrument and serve as positive benchmark for subsequent issuances.
Through the develoPPP.de programme, GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) works with the private sector to support innovative projects in developing and emerging economies for sustainable development.
For further information, please see the STA’s fact sheet.
- Presentation of the STA on Green Bonds at the conference Development of the Green Capital Market in Vietnam (10 Nov 2017, Hanoi)
- Roundtable Discussion: India’s Green Bond market: Safeguarding integrity and regulatory requirements (16 Nov 2017, Mumbai)
- Workshop III: External reviews: Safeguarding environmental integrity in the Indian Green Bond market (17 Nov 2017, Mumbai)
- Green Finance Session at the Think 20 Summit: Sustainable Financial Solutions – How to Mainstream Green Bonds? (29 May 2017, Berlin)
- Brazil: Green Bond Workshop I (13 & 14 Dec 2016) & Workshop II (4 & 5 April 2017)
- China: Green Bond Workshops I & II (27 & 28 Sep 2016), Workshop III (2 Mar 2017), Roundtable on External Reviews (20 Sep 2017) & Investor Conference (21 Sep 2017)
- Mexico: Green Bond Workshop I (10 & 11 Oct 2016), Workshop II (1 & 2 Mar 2017), Roundtable Discussion (18 Oct 2017) & Green Bond Session at ABM Risk Management Symposium (20 Oct 2017)
- India: Green Bond Workshop I (19 Jan 2017) & Workshop II (17 May 2017)
- Green Bond Symposia in Frankfurt (4 April 2016), Beijing (7 April 2016) and São Paulo (28 June 2016)
- Expert Talk on Green Bonds (8 Oct 2014)