The Green Assets Wallet (GAW) initiative aims to scale up the market for trusted green investments in order to support the delivery on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and the objectives of the Paris Climate Agreement. To stimulate both the supply of and demand for credible green investment opportunities, especially in emerging markets, the initiative develops a blockchain-based technology for validating green investment claims that brings greater efficiency and transparency to the green debt market by immutable verification of green impacts.
The initiative, which was launched in December 2017 by Stockholm Green Digital Finance, brings together climate finance and digital technology expertise in a unique multi-stakeholder consortium including blockchain engineer ChromaWay, the climate research institute CICERO, the asset management firm Öhman, and the Swedish bank SEB. With support from GIZ’s Emerging Markets Dialogue on Finance, the project partners created this groundbreaking blockchain platform and launched the first version on 27 November 2018.
The GAW was developed around three key objectives: (1) Validation of green investments, (2) Impact reporting, and (3) Trust to support issuers in emerging and developing markets. Accordingly, it does not only make high impact investment opportunities accessible to potential investors and allows them to efficiently and transparently assess and monitor impact, but also supports emerging market issuers to successfully demonstrate credentials and attract investment for green activities, making the platform valuable for investors, issuers and validators alike.
- GAW Factsheet
- More details on the GAW and Stockholm Green Digital Finance
- Introduction to the validation process
- Partner Meeting IV: Testing Phase (27 September, Stockholm)
- Partner Meeting III: Update Beta Phase and SDGF News (26 June 2018, Stockholm)
- Innovate 4 Climate Workshop on Blockchain to Drive Climate and Development Impacts at Scale (24 May 2018, Frankfurt)
- Inaugural Meeting of the Financial Centers for Sustainability (FC4S) Network: Network members invited to the Green Assets Wallet (12 & 13 Apr 2018, Milan)
- Partner meeting II: Alpha phase completed (27 Mar 2018, Stockholm)
- Project presentation at Northern European Partnership for Sustainable Finance (6 Mar 2018, London)
- Project presentation at G20 Sustainable Finance Study Group technical workshop (20 Feb 2018, London)
- Nordic Investment Bank’s Green Finance for the Future Seminar (31 Jan 2018, Stockholm)
- Project presentation at Sustainable Finance Conference (31 Jan 2018, Stockholm)
- Presentation of the Green Assets Wallet at the VfU/UNEP FI Roundtable (29-30 Nov 2017, Frankfurt)
- Video interview with Cecilia Repinski, Executive Director, Stockholm Green Digital Finance at the Finance Innovation Summit (8 Dec 2017, Paris)
- Press Release: Green Assets Wallet launch – Blockchain meets finance (27 Nov 2018)
- Press Release: Green Assets Wallet launched at Climate Finance Day (26 Nov 2018)
- Press Release: Green Assets Wallet to be launched (8 Dec 2017)
- GAW featured in UNEP Inquiry Report: Accelerating Financial Centre Action on Sustainable Development (p. 20)
- Blockchain for Development: Emerging Opportunities for Mobile,Identity and Aid
- Blockchain and Economic Development: Hype vs. Reality
- How blockchain technology could change our lives
- Do you need a Blockchain ?