Workshop I: Introduction to Natural Capital – Understanding Risks and Opportunities
23 September 2014, São Paulo
The workshop introduced the concept of natural capital, its relevance for financial institutions and the rationale behind integrating natural capital considerations into valuation and risk management in the Brazilian context. The audience was given a deeper understanding of ecosystem services and impacts beyond environmental issues that are aligned to dependencies on natural capital inputs. Risks and opportunities for the financial sector, stemming from such dependencies, were also discussed. The relevance of natural capital integration was presented from both a financial institution’s perspective (Banorte) and from a credit rating agency’s perspective (S&P). The workshop concluded with a panel discussion on business cases for incorporating natural capital into investment decisions.
- Daniel Lerda, PADMA: Introduction to Natural Capital
- Liesel van Ast, Natural Capital Declaration: The Natural Capital Declaration and Roadmap
- Julyana Yokota, Standard and Poor’s: Environmental Risks and their increasing relevance to Credit Ratings
- Marcos Mancini, Banorte: Understanding Risks and Opportunities for Financial Institutions
- Liesel van Ast, NCD, and Simone Dettling, GIZ: Quantifying and Integrating Natural Capital Risks