Green Bonds in India
In order to mobilize capital at scale urgently required to achieve India’s national target of lowering emissions intensity of GDP by between 33-35% below 2005 levels, the green bond pioneer Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB) and GIZ’s Emerging Markets Dialogue on Finance, jointly with their Indian partners, seek to support the development of a prosperous and sustainable green bond market in India.
To promote highest environmental, market and transparency standards, the Strategic Alliance (STA) aims to raise awareness, enhance practical knowledge and build professional capacity on green bonds as (re-)financing and investment tool. Core activities comprise a workshop series, roundtables, symposia and individual advisory support for key stakeholder groups, including potential issuers, investors, underwriters, regulators & policy makers, as well as external verifiers.
The events serve to provide a platform for learning and knowledge exchange through engagement with leading international and domestic green bond experts who share their profound knowledge and hands-on technical expertise on the pillars that constitute a robust green bond framework.
- Workshop I: Definitions, Selection & Verification (19 Jan 2017, Mumbai)
- Workshop II: Monitoring, Reporting & Market Aspects (17 May 2017, Mumbai)
- Roundtable: India’s Green Bond market: Safeguarding integrity and regulatory requirements (16 Nov 2017, Mumbai)
- Workshop: External reviews: Safeguarding environmental integrity in the Indian Green Bond market (17 Nov 2017, Mumbai)
- STA publication: Green Bonds – Ecosystem, Issuance Process and Regional Perspectives | India Edition (Jan 2018)
- Securities & Exchange Board of India: Disclosure Requirements for the Issuance and Listing of Green Debt Securities (May 2017)
- International Capital Markets Association (ICMA): The Green Bond Principles 2017
- External review:
- CICERO: List of second opinions
- CICERO: Shades of Climate Risk Report
- Impact Reporting:
- Green Bonds – Working towards a Harmonized Framework for Impact Reporting (Dec 2015)
- Nordic Public Sector Issuers: Position Paper on Green Bonds Impact Reporting (Oct 2017)
Domestic Implementation Partners