Green Bond Market Development in G20 Emerging Economies
Against the background of the urgent need to mobilize capital at scale in support of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and the objectives of the Paris Agreement, the green bond pioneer Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB) and the Emerging Markets Dialogue on Finance, initiated a develoPPP public-private partnership in early 2016 with the objective to support the development of prosperous and sustainable green bond market in Brazil, China, India and Mexico.
In order to promote highest environmental, market and transparency standards, the Strategic Alliance aims to raise awareness, enhance practical knowledge and build professional capacity on green bonds as (re-)financing and investment tool. Core activities comprise workshop series, roundtables, symposia and individual advisory support addressing key stakeholder groups, including potential issuers, investors, underwriters, regulators & policy makers, as well as external verifiers.
In the workshops, roundtables and symposia, leading international and domestic green bond experts share their profound knowledge and hands-on technical expertise on the pillars that constitute a robust green bond framework. In alignment with the Green Bond Principles, focus themes include:
- Market Aspects
All activities of this multi-stakeholder approach are designed to build on and complement existing national and international initiatives and foster the mutual learning and dialogue to mobilize human capital, which ultimately represents the essential ingredient for a successful green transformation.
- Fact Sheet: The Strategic Alliance on Green Bonds
- E-Learning Course: „Introduction to Sustainable Finance“
- Publication: Green Bonds – Ecosystem, Issuance Process and Case Studies (May 2018)
- Green Bond Online Learning Series
The Strategic Alliance Events
- Green Bond event series in Brazil, China, India and Mexico
- Live Webinar: Green Bonds – An innovative and efficient way of financing green investment
- Publication launch : Green Bonds – Ecosystem, Issuance Process and Regional Perspectives | Brazil edition at the COP 23 Side Event: The Path to Low-Carbon Development (10 Nov 2017, Bonn, Brazilian Pavilion) and presentation at the Meeting of the Brazilian Green Finance Initiative (13 Dec 2017, São Paulo)
- Symposium & signing event: Greening Financial Decision Making – Financing the Green Transition (4 Apr 2016, Frankfurt)
- The World Bank’s Innovate for Climate (I4C) Conference 2018 (24 May 2018, Frankfurt):
- Panel discussion (organized with SEB): Towards conducive sustainable finance frameworks – Approaches and experiences from green bond markets in Asia and Europe
- Panel discussion (organized with the IFC & WRI): Climate Change and National Climate Pledges: A Trillion-Dollar Business Opportunity for Financial Institutions in Emerging Economies
- Panel discussion at the Hertie School of Governance: Closing the gap: Mobilising missing financial resources for climate change mitigation (23 Mar 2018, Berlin) – read the summary here
- Panel discussion: Sustainable Financial Solutions – How to Mainstream Green Bonds? at the Think 20 Summit 2017 (29 May 2017, Berlin)
- Expert Talk: The Emerging Climate Bond Market – Potential Source for Large-Scale Climate Finance for Developed and Emerging Markets? (8 Oct 2014)
- International Capital Markets Association (ICMA): The Green Bond Principles 2018
- SEB: The Green Bond (six-weekly green bond market update)
- SEB Library
- Impact Reporting:
- Green Bonds – Working towards a Harmonized Framework for Impact Reporting (Dec 2015)
- Nordic Public Sector Issuers: Position Paper on Green Bonds Impact Reporting (Oct 2017)
The Swedish bank SEB is recognized as a pioneer and leading knowledge provider with regards to Green Bond product and market development worldwide. As underwriter, SEB organized a large number of path-breaking issuances, in particular the inaugural World Bank Green Bond, the first municipal Green Bond (City of Gothenburg), the first non-supranational Green Bond (Korea Export Import Bank) and the first corporate Green Bond (Swedish property company Vasakronan).
Through the develoPPP.de programme, GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) works with the private sector to support innovative projects in developing and emerging economies for sustainable development. As service provider with offices in over 130 countries, GIZ has – in over 50 years of experience in international cooperation for sustainable development – built strong regional and technical expertise and close working relationships with governments, industries and think tanks across the globe.
Domestic Implementation Partners